As a Worcester student you have a range of options to study abroad or work in another country.

Studying or working abroad is an exciting time of discovery. You'll experience new cultures, make friends from all over the world and learn a huge amount about yourself. It also looks great on your CV.

Less than 5% of UK students study abroad as part of their degree. This kind of experience puts you among an elite group of enterprising students. 

Study abroad options

Semester abroad 

You can spend a semester of year two at one of our partner universities. This semester will serve as a replacement semester. You will take modules that fulfill and complement your usual degree requirements. You will pay your regular tuition fee to the University of Worcester.      

Semester one or two may be more suitable for you depending on your course. Your school’s International Coordinator or the Exchange and Study Abroad Coordinator can help you determine which semester will be the best fit for you.  

Third year abroad 

You can switch your degree to a four-year degree and spend year three abroad. For this option, you will spend years one, two, and four in Worcester completing your degree requirements. You will spend year three abroad either at one of our partner universities or completing a placement.  

This is an excellent way to expand your experience and skill set. You could learn a new language, achieve a certificate in a specialised area of your field or gain work experience.  

The exact opportunities available are unique to your course. In your application you need to make a proposal of what you intend to do on your Third Year Abroad. It must be approved by both your course leader and/or tutor and the Exchange & Study Abroad Coordinator. 

Your Third Year Abroad tuition fee will only cost you 15% of that year’s tuition fee. For example, if the yearly tuition fee is £9000, you will only pay £1350 for the full year of tuition. Please see the Financing tab for more information. 

Study abroad FAQs

Where can I go on study abroad?

Study abroad destinations

The University of Worcester has partner universities in Asia, Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand and Brazil. Where you can study will depend on your course and the duration of your study period. 

Check out our online map of partner universities here!

The school guides below list all of the partner institutions available for each school. Some universities will be more suitable for some courses than others. It is noted in the guide where there are clear restrictions on course eligibility or study duration at each partner.  

It is a good idea to research the partner universities and then discuss the options with the International Mobility team and your school’s International Coordinator or your tutor/course leader.                                                                    

Destination guides                                            

How can I apply for study abroad?

How to apply for study abroad

For both a semester abroad and third year abroad, you will:

  1. Submit an application 
  2. Have an interview 
  3. Find out the results 
  4. Be nominated to the partner university
  5. Complete the application for the university (register for classes, sign up for accommodation, etc.)
  6. Go abroad! 

First semester of year two / third year abroad 

Applications for first semester of year two should be completed in your first year of study. Applications for Third Year Abroad must be completed in your second year of study. For both opportunities, applications open on 1st December and close on 31st January.

You will be nominated in March and have a departure session in April or May. You'll then go abroad in the August or September of your third year.       

Second semester of year two  

Applications for second semester of year two must be completed in your first year of study. The application opens on 1st February and all applications close on 31st March.

You will be nominated and have a departure session in September. You'll then go abroad in the January, February or March of your second year. 

Application form

Please click here for the study abroad application form. Please take your time and only submit it when all questions have been completed and you have thoroughly reviewed your answers. If you have any questions, please email

How can I fund my study abroad?

Tuition and Maintenance Loans/Grants 

Your tuition loans and maintenance loans or grants from Student Finance England, Wales or Northern Ireland can be used for your study period abroad. The amount of maintenance funding you are eligible for will often increase during your period of study overseas.  

When you study abroad you continue to pay your tuition fees to the University of Worcester. You will not pay tuition fees to your host university.  If you study abroad for a semester, you will pay your usual tuition fee to the University of Worcester, but simply attend one of our partner universities.

If you spend a Third Year Abroad, you will also pay your tuition fee directly to the University of Worcester, but your tuition fee will be reduced to 15% of that year’s tuition fee. For example, if the yearly tuition fee was £9000, you would only pay £1350 for the full year of tuition. This is applicable if you study or undertake a placement.

You are eligible for four years of financing from Student Finance England, Wales and Northern Ireland. If you spend your Third Year Abroad, you will use your fourth year of eligibility. Student Finance will match your tuition fee loan according to that year’s fee. You will be eligible for the usual study abroad maintenance grant/loan amount.

For more information see student finance Englandstudent finance Wales, and student finance Northern Ireland

Travel Grants 

Student Finance offers a travel grant to students studying abroad. The travel grant is means tested and the requirements for eligibility can change from year to year. If you are eligible for a travel grant, you can generally be reimbursed for certain travel costs that exceed £303. You will need to send your receipts to Student Finance as evidence in order to be reimbursed. 

For more information see student travel grants Englandtravel grants Wales, and travel grants Northern Ireland


The University of Worcester is a beneficiary of Erasmus+ funding. If you study or undertake a placement within the European Union or EEA, including in Norway, Switzerland and Turkey, you will be eligible for Erasmus+ funding.

You will generally receive between €300-450 per month. The exact amount of funding you receive will depend on where you go, how long your mobility is and if you undertake a period of study or a traineeship (placement).  

You do not have to apply for Erasmus+ funding, but you will have to complete a few forms before and during your mobility period. These will include the Learning or Traineeship Agreement, the Grant Agreement, a Confirmation of Arrival and Completion, along with the Erasmus+ survey.  

Erasmus+ also offers additional funding for students from disadvantaged backgrounds and for students with disabilities who may need extra support. If you come from a household with an annual income of £25,000 or less, you will be eligible for an extra €120 per month for a study period or €20 per month for a traineeship (placement) period.

If you have a disability or learning difficulties, the Exchange & Study Abroad Coordinator can also help you apply for additional support. If you believe you are eligible for either of these extra funding sources, you should mark this on your application and discuss it with the International Mobility Coordinator.

BUTEX Scholarship  

The University of Worcester is a member of BUTEX. As a result, students studying at the University of Worcester are eligible to apply for a £500 scholarship to support a study abroad period that is not eligible for an Erasmus grant. You are likely eligible if you are studying outside of Europe.

Applications are due on 15 June 2020 for students studying abroad during the 2020-21 academic year. To find out how to apply, please visit the BUTEX website.  

Who is eligible to study abroad or undertake an international placement?

For all international opportunities you must have at least a C average and be in good standing with the university. To be considered for a few partner universities we require you to have a B average. These universities include Brock University, Deakin University, the University of Navarra and the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB).  

All students on three year Bachelors level courses are eligible to undertake an international mobility. Some courses are not eligible for a semester abroad, but students can undertake a Third Year Abroad or attend a summer school. Some courses offer a placement opportunity as well. The eligibility of courses can sometimes change. It is always best to check with the Exchange & Study Abroad Coordinator and your course leader.  

To avoid jeopardising professional accreditation, students on the courses below cannot normally undertake a semester abroad. They are usually eligible to undertake a Third Year Abroad, participate in a summer school or, where noted, take part in an international placement:

I am an international student and have a UK visa. Can I study abroad?

You are eligible to study abroad, but will need to research and carefully consider the visa implications and costs. If you are in the UK on a visa, you will need to consult the International Student Advisor,  Deb Graddon, to seek advice on how studying abroad might impact your UK visa. 

What factors should I think about when choosing a destination?

You will need to: 

  • Be sure that your chosen destination fits your course needs and learning requirements. 

  • Research the costs involved including: living costs at the university and in the city/area, visa fees, health insurance requirements and fees, and minor facilities or technology fees. 

  • Research the type of accommodation on offer. Some universities will offer shared dorms (bedrooms). Others might not be able to offer student accommodation, but will provide advice on how to find a place to stay. Be sure that you are comfortable with what is on offer.  

  • Public transportation. Some places, particularly in North America or Australia, might have fewer public transportation options than in the UK. Research the city and area you will live in to be sure your expectations are realistic.  

  • Research visa costs and requirements. In addition, if you are in the UK on a visa, you will need to consult the International Student Advisor, Deb Graddon, to seek advice on how studying abroad might impact your UK visa.  

What costs can I expect?

You will have no additional tuition fees. You will, though, need to pay for your books or other learning supplies. You will also need to pay for your accommodation, subsistence and travel costs.

Some universities, particularly those in North America, may require you to purchase their student health insurance or travel card. These will usually be things you’ll want to have anyway and often cost between USD$500-1500. It is best to ask about fees required by the universities that interest you.

Your student financing can be used to support you and there is extra funding available for eligible students. Please download our study abroad budget template to help you with budgeting.


What language will I study in?

All of our partners teach in English and you will take your classes in English. It is certainly encouraged to learn at least the basics of the host language, but it is not required. You will have the opportunity to take language classes at your host university. 

In order to prepare for your study period abroad, you can take classes in several modern languages during your first and second year through the University of Worcester’s Centre for Academic English and Skills. You can also access classes for additional languages via available online classes and software. Please contact the Centre for Academic English and Skills for further information. 

If you are part of the Erasmus+ programme, you will have free access to the Online Language Support system. This will provide you with online classes to prepare you for your mobility and support you while you are abroad.  

If you have sufficient fluency in a specific language and would like to take classes in the host language, you may be able to do this.  


Will the modules I take abroad count towards my UW degree?

Semester Abroad

The semester abroad is a replacement semester and so the credit you gain from our partner university will count towards your UW degree.  However, the credit achieved is either ‘pass’ or ‘fail’; individual grades (A-U) will not be used in the calculation of your degree classification.

Third Year Abroad

The Third Year Abroad is an additional year and so the credit you gain from our partner university will not count towards your UW degree.  However, you will receive a transcript from your host university which will be attached to your HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Report).  This is something you can draw to the attention of future employers or show if you apply for a Postgraduate degree.

Summer Schools

While some of our partner universities do offer credit bearing summer courses, the credit you gain will normally not count towards your degree but will be additional credit. You will be clearly advised if there is an exception to this rule.

Where will I live while I’m abroad?

Accommodation options and costs will vary depending on where you choose to study abroad. The majority of our partners will offer university accommodation in halls of residence.

Some partners will not be able to offer accommodation in halls, but will provide advice of where and how you can secure accommodation. Sometimes you will have your own bedroom, just as in the UK, but sometimes you will share a bedroom with another student. You should research the accommodation options carefully and be sure you are comfortable with them.   

If you undertake a traineeship (work placement) abroad, you will usually be responsible for finding your own accommodation.

I have a disability or access University of Worcester support services, am I still able to participate?

Yes, of course you are! International experiences are open to all students. Some University of Worcester support services will be available to you while you are abroad, while others can be offered to you by your host university. As a result of different cultural contexts, some host university services will sometimes differ in what is provided or in how a service is provided.  

If you study in Europe, there is extra funding available via Erasmus+ to help support any adaptations you might need, but that are not readily provided by the University of Worcester or the host university. 

If you access university services or support, you will want to discuss this early in the process with the International Mobility Coordinator. You should also indicate it on your application to ensure everything can be put in place before your departure.  

Can I go on multiple study abroad periods?

According to university policy, the University of Worcester will normally offer only one semester long exchange, study abroad or international student traineeship within a three-year degree. This will usually be in year 2 (level 5) of a three or four-year degree programme. 

In some circumstances, students may be able to take a replacement semester or an extra year abroad. You must gain approval from your Course Leader and Personal Academic Tutor first.  

How will I be supported by the University?

When you study abroad, you will study at one of our trusted partner universities. We have built relationships with these universities and are in regular contact with their international offices to help coordinate your experience and support your exchange. 

The Exchange & Study Abroad Coordinator will support you throughout your application process both internally and to the partner university. The coordinator will provide you with guidance on how to complete your applications and signpost you to the relevant resources where it is appropriate. He or she will also nominate you to the host university and liaise with the host university to assist with any necessary arrangements.  

Before you travel you will attend a departure session to help you prepare for your experience. You will learn about organisations such as  World Aware and the  Foreign and Commonwealth Office, who are experts in travel security and support overseas.    

You will also cover important topics such as the University of Worcester’s insurance policy, risk assessment, cultural intelligence and culture shock. You will explore real life case study material and receive a study abroad departure checklist to fill in. This checklist will cover elements of your study abroad that will help you succeed, stay safe and have a fulfilling experience.

Completing this checklist is a mandatory requirement for all students undertaking a semester or year abroad. You must submit this checklist four weeks prior to departure along with your risk assessment, learning agreement and, if applicable, your grant agreement.  

While you are abroad you will be covered by the University of Worcester’s travel insurance policy, which also includes emergency medical and dental coverage. You will need your own health insurance for routine appointments or prescriptions. You will also need your own travel insurance if you are travelling in countries that are not your host country or for a long duration before or after your study period. 

You will still be a University of Worcester student during your time abroad and be able to access a range of Worcester’s student support services. You will also have access to support services at your host university. Before departure, you will receive the mobile number of the Exchange & Study Abroad Coordinator so that you can easily be in touch via phone, text, WhatsApp, WeChat, or Line. The coordinator will check in on you a few times throughout the semester and will be happy to Skype or call whenever you might like to catch up or discuss something throughout your stay abroad. 

What will I be responsible for in preparation for and during my mobility period?

As an exchange student you will need to: 

  • Complete research on your host university and culture and demonstrate this in your application to study abroad 

  • Speak to the Exchange & Study Abroad Coordinator and your course leader and/or Personal Academic Tutor about your plans 

  • Make your own travel, accommodation and visa arrangements, though we are happy to provide advice or help with forms 

  • Purchase your own health insurance for non-emergency and routine purposes 

  • Check your e-mail regularly, as this is the main means of communication we will have with you in coordinating your experience 

  • Complete your required paperwork in a timely manner 

  • Represent the University of Worcester responsibly and positively while abroad 

  • Communicate any concerns or difficulties as you prepare and while you are abroad, so that we can help in a timely and efficient way


Summer school 

Studying abroad is an exciting time of discovery. You'll experience new cultures, make friends from all over the world and learn a huge amount about yourself.  It also looks great on your CV. However, there might be many reasons for you not to opt for the long study abroad options such as the semester abroad or the year abroad but that doesn’t mean we haven’t anything to offer!

You can attend a summer school at one of our partners or endorsed universities! Summer schools usually run from between one to six weeks. Some focus on cultural experience, while others will focus on specific course related subjects. Every year the programs and the destinations are different and there is no limit in what you can do and achieve!      

Click here for information on available summer programmes abroad!


Erasmus LOGO


The symbol for the Turing scheme

International Experience
Peirson Building (PN G008)    
University of Worcester    

Telephone: +44 (0)1905 855146